Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review #20: Capricious (Bad to the Bone #1) by Jade Eby

Capricious is the latest short story by Jade Eby that was released in mid-January 2014. I had it on my list of must read books for 2014 back in early January and it did not disappoint.

In just 32 short pages, Eby paints a tragic picture of the main character. Lacey is in a tough situation and she is forced to go back to an old "friend" for help. The story takes an unexpected turn in the end that will have you screaming, but it is worth the ride.

Eby does a great job showing the desperation of the characters and creating locales that seem very real. I've never stepped foot in a strip club, but with the vivid descriptions in the story, I could probably fake it if someone asked me and I wanted to seem cool. Jade also does a great job of building the suspense that doesn't get downplayed or overplayed in the end. It's a sweet spot that some authors who write this type of story can easily miss.

This is the second story by Jade that I've read. This one, like the first, gets a thumbs up. I'm looking forward to her second full length novel, The Finish, coming out later this year.


AddtoGoodReads
Buy on from Amazon.com
It's just 99 cents!