Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Monday, December 16, 2013

Book Review #02: The Right Kind of Wrong by Jade Eby

I'll be honest I was a bit nervous to read Jade's book, The Right Kind of Wrong. Jade is a friend, co-worker and reading critic and I was afraid what would happen if I didn't like the book. I did get some early chapters a few months ago and was deeply intrigued to read more, but there was always this "What if...?" niggling at the back of my mind. I'm happy to report that I loved The Right Kind of Wrong!

As a midwestern girl, I could identify with Eby's main character, Kara, the setting in Iowa, the escape of going to a larger city far away and trying to start anew. As well as the wonder and comfort one feels upon returning home and thinking, "Why did I leave all this behind?" It was all right there. I could smell the apple pies cooling in the window and picture myself next to Kara on the porch swing sipping coffee in the chill of an early summer morning. I may have to make tator tot hotdish (or casserole, rather, for those of you not from Minnesota) soon.

As for the plot, it was well constructed and kept me turning the pages until all was revealed. There were no crazy bi-polar dudes acting all sweet one minute and uber-angry the next, no insta-love and just enough romance, and just enough plot clues to lead to you the reveal without giving too much away. And when I finished the last page i wondered, What trouble will Vince and Kara get into next?

Sneak Peak of Eby's Next Novel!
In November, Eby released Whiskey and a Gun. It is a short story/prequel for her next novel which is due out in later this year. This short story keeps you reading with a compelling plot told from an unusual point of view. Just a word of warning...it stops short at the end and you'll have to wait till for a resolution. I would not recommend this book to anyone who might be disturbed by extreme portrayals of domestic abuse.

The Right Kind of Wrong
The Right Kind of Wrong
Whiskey and a Gun
Whiskey and a Gun