Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Monday, January 20, 2014

Book Review #07: The Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry Logan

The Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry Logan was a nice surprise. It was one of the books featured in The Fussy Librarian daily newsletter on October 22, 2013 and again on December 21, 2013. I'm sucker for time travel novels and honestly, I was a little skeptical when I read the description in the newsletter.

"A paramedic goes back in time to Independence, Missouri, in the year 1852, to solve a family mystery. Her quest is jeopardized when she meets a lawyer who resembles the ghost who has haunted her since childhood."

I mean, who would choose to time travel to Independence, MO?! Despite the skepticism, I clicked through to Amazon.com to see if there was more information. The description on a Amazon.com really drew me in and I purchased the book. Just two days after starting it, I finished. As a fan of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, I was drawn in immediately by Kit and her family history. Much of the book actually takes place on The Oregon Trail. And as a child of the late 80's/early 90's who played Oregon Trail on an Apple IIe, I was hooked.

Beyond the engaging characters who are full of personality and the tough life on the Trail, there is true love and the mystery behind the ruby brooch to keep you moving forward. The story ends on a hopeful note. You know just enough about the characters to be satisfied with the ending and wondering how their lives will continue now that there are no more pages left. Thankfully, Logan wrote a sequel, The Last MacKlenna. The Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry Logan gets a thumbs up.

The Ruby Brooch