Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Sunday Post: Special Oscars Edition

PTonight is the Oscars. I am so excited that every time I see something related to the Oscars on TV, I squeal, THE OSCARS ARE TONIGHT! I'm pretty sure my husband and my cats are ready to for that be over with soon.

So here's a rundown of the Oscar nominated flicks I was able to see before the Big Dance.

This is probably the best I've done with seeing the nominees in recent years. Due to the public and critical acclaim of many of the films, our local second run theater has been blessed with getting many of the films in before the Oscars actually air. The last movie I'll see before the show airs tonight is Gravity. I didn't get to The Wolf of Wall Street, but I have a personal day tomorrow so I'll be treating myself. Tonight I'll be joining other local movie fans at Collins Road Theatre for their annual FREE Oscars bash which starts at 6 PM. Maybe I'll see you there!

My Oscar Picks

  • Picture: 12 Years a Slave
    • While not my favorite flick, it will win tonight. If I had my druthers, I would like to see Her take this prize.
  • Actor: Matthew McConaughey
  • Actress: Cate Blanchett
    • I'm actually bit torn on this pick. I wouldn't mind seeing Dame Judy Dench win for Philomena.
  • Supporting Actor: Jared Leto
  • Supporting Actress: Lupita Nyong'o
  • Animated Feature: Frozen
  • Cinematography: Gravity
  • Costume Design: American Hustle
  • Director: Alfonso Cuaron
  • Documentary Feature: The Act of Killing
  • Documentary Short Subject: The Lady in Number 6: Music Save my Life
  • Film Editing: Gravity
  • Foreign Language Film: The Great Beauty
  • Makeup and Hairstyling: Dallas Buyers Club
  • Music-Original Score: Gravity
  • Music-Original Song: "Let It Go" from Frozen
  • Production Design: The Great Gatsby
  • Short Film-Animated: Get a Horse!
  • Short Film-Live Action: Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)
  • Sound Editing: Gravity
  • Sound Mixing: Gravity
  • Visual Effects: Gravity
  • Writing-Adapted Screenplay: 12 Years a Slave
  • Writing-Original Screenplay: Her
    • I certainly hope Her wins this category. I can't stop gushing about this movie and the beautiful prose. There are lines from the movies that still stick with me and I saw it just about a month ago!

"It's like I'm reading a book... and it's a book I deeply love. But I'm reading it slowly now. So the words are really far apart and the spaces between the words are almost infinite. I can still feel you... and the words of our story... but it's in this endless space between the words that I'm finding myself now. It's a place that's not of the physical world. It's where everything else is that I didn't even know existed. I love you so much. But this is where I am now. And this who I am now. And I need you to let me go. As much as I want to, I can't live your book any more." Samantha (Her)
Share your Oscar picks in comments. Which Oscar nominees have you seen? Which one got your Thumbs Up and which ones got a Thumbs Down? Will you be singing along with "Let It Go" tonight?