Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Friday, February 7, 2014

Feature and Follow #187-04: Read It Again for the First Time

It's time for Feature and Follow Friday!

This week's question: If you could read a book for the “first time” again, which book would it be? Why?

I really struggled with this week's question. I think I have to go back to my childhood and I can't choose just one!

A Taste of Blackberries by Doris Buchanan Smith
I remember sobbing my eyes out while reading this book. It is the first book I remember such a deep emotional connection with. I've been on the hunt for this book for ages. And finally found copy last year in a used bookshop in Seattle while on vacation. My husband made fun of me for paying a little over $2 for the book. I pointed out to him that this book to me is like his copy of Stephen King's The Stand that is falling apart for its many re-readings.
AddtoGoodReads

Buy a A Taste of Blackberries on Amazon.com

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi
I talk about this book on my Meet the Cast page.

...[Charlotte] was probably the strongest, most determined female lead I'd ever been exposed to. I still recommend The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle to my friends, especially those with young daughters, because I still remember how I felt when Charlotte made her final decision at the end of the book and how liberating it was think that maybe someday I would have the freedom to make such a choice.
I only hope some of the decisions I have made in life are done with the same level of courage and bravery as Charlotte's.
AddtoGoodReads

Buy The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle on Amazon.com

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
Next to the book 2 + 2 = 4 which I recall my mother reading to me, Ramona the Pest is the next book I remember being read aloud to me by my 1st and 2nd grade teacher. I still remember the joy of Ramona pulling Susan beautiful curls (BOING!). Ramona powdering her nose with a marshmallow singing, "I'm going to have party! I'm going to have a party!" And the delight of Ramona telling her friends that Fig Newtons are filled with WORMS! The sight of a package of Newtons makes me smile to this day.
AddtoGoodReads

Buy Ramona the Pest on Amazon.com

Other books on my list: A Ring of Endless Light by Madeline L'Engle, Outlander and Voyager both by Diana Gabaldon and The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George.

Don't forget to checkout the featured bloggers on Alison Can Read and Parajunkee.com.

If anyone knows the author of 2 + 2 = 4, please leave me a comment or send me fan mail. I remember the book being in the children's section of my elementary school. It was hardcover and I believe the dust jacket was red and white. My mother would read a chapter a night to my sister and I. I believe the author had another book and vaguely recall not liking it as well.