Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Note from the Director: How Do You Read Anthologies?

I wanted to throw this out into the book reading blogosphere. How do you read an anthology? I'm curious. A couple years ago I would say that I hated anthologies, but now, about once or twice a year, I pick one up. In fact I'm reading one right now. It's a collection of Gaslight Fantasy and I'm just past the dual introductions. I can't wait to dive into the short stories. Anyway, back to the topic at hand or I won't have anything to review later. :)

In my limited experience with anthologies, there are some stories I just adore and others I'm don't like as much. I'm contemplating, with the current anthology I'm reading, posting mini reviews containing a couple (or a few) of the short stories as I complete them. For me, I think it might be helpful to help me figure out how strong the anthology really is. For you, my dear fans, I thought it might be helpful in determining if the anthology was worth your time. I think if I tried to review each story in one blog post, it would scroll forever and be hard to read.

So what do you think? Should I post mini reviews every two to three stories and then provide a summary of the entire collection when I'm done or just wait and go whole hog at the very end?

P.S. I still want to know how you go about reading an anthology. Do you read every story? Or do you skip around? Maybe you, like myself just a short while ago, avoid anthologies like the plague. Share your thoughts below in comments!