Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Back to School Challenge Day 09: A Note to My Teachers

Back to School Book Blogger Challenge

Day 09:Share with us the story of your favorite teacher or mentor.

Believe it or not, this isn't going to be a story about one of my English teachers or professors. It's actually going to be quick story about my favorite math teacher, Mr. Aasen.

David Aasen was my tennis coach and math teacher. I suck at math and I suck at tennis. I'm not the most coordinated person on the planet and numbers make my head spin. And while, Mr. Aasen didn't make math easier for me or make me a better tennis player, it was his positive attitude that stands out in my memory. He always had smile on his face and cared about everyone. It's not often, I found throughout my remaining years in the halls of education and throughout student teaching, to find teachers who care that much about everyone and can do it with a true and honest smile on their faces. And with things kind of being in this negative swing in my life, I think it is fitting that I'm writing this post right now as I remembered something Mr. Aasen used to say every day...

"The grass is green, the sky is blue, It's a great day to be alive."

As I try to find my momentum again and find joy in each day, it's nice to be reminded that each day I wake up is a blessing and I should be grateful for that. I have Mr. Aasen to thank for that.
So thank you, Mr. Aasen, thank you.

Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6
Day 7 | Day 8 (did not participate) | Day 9