Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: Shameless Plug for ICON 39 and My Programming Idea

Back in January, I mentioned that I was planning to attend ICON 39 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I probably failed to mention that I am on the planning committee for ICON 39. I've only attended a total of 3 cons (2 ICONs and Chi-Fi 0), but I really had a blast at all three. And so far I'm really enjoying being on the planning committee for ICON 39.

So a bit about ICON! ICON was started in 1975 and is the oldest and largest science fiction convention in Iowa. This year will be the 39th convention and our theme is The League of Extraordinary Gentlefen. The event is being held at the Cedar Rapids Marriott on October 31 through November 2. My role, beyond helping our wonderful ConCom plan the event, is to be a wonderful hostess for Megan Lara.

Over the last couple of planning meetings we've talked briefly about programming and I've been tossing around some ideas. I thought I would throw my favorite idea out into the blogosphere to see if anyone out there was interested in attending the Con and helping out if the proposal would get accepted.

My big idea: Being a Blogger: The Who's, Whats, Whens, Wheres, Whys and Hows.

Now I'm a new blogger. I've only been doing this since January. But I know that some of my followers are also bloggers and some of you live close-ish to Cedar Rapids or perhaps some of you always wanted to visit the great state where the Field of Dreams was filmed that maybe you might be interested helping out with a panel like this. If so, send me an email and we can brainstorm a bit and submit our proposal to the Con. If you have another idea that you think would be cool programming, let me know. I can hook you up with our Programming Chair and you can submit your idea directly to them.

But, Terri, I'm not really interested in doing a panel, but I would like to attend the Con, please tell me what bookish type things are going on?! Well, right now on Thursday night 16 authors are gathering at Barnes & Noble-Cedar Rapids to sell, sign and mingle with fans. During the convention last year, I had the opportunity to chat with Jim C. Hines and Catherine Schaff-Stump about the writing process. I had drinks with Dennis W. Green, Jed Q. Peterson and Michael Koogler. I heard Joe Haldeman read from a book that is currently in progress. The experience was amazing and really got me thinking about starting my own blog to share my love of books and movies and promote local bookish events. I only hope that Jim C. Hines remembers how to spell my name this year when he signs his latest book for me.

The important details!

ICON 39
The League of Extraordinary Gentlefen
October 31 - November 2, 2014, Cedar Rapids Marriott
Featuring : Hugo and Campbell winning author Elizabeth Bear, World Fantasy finalist author Scott Lynch, Artist Lar deSouza, Artist Megan Lara and Toastmaster Jim C. Hines
Register Online
Find us on Facebook