Header Home Home About Me Calendar Archive and Policies Contact Me Twitter Facebook Subscribe by EmailGoodReads feed://secondrunreviews.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Feature and Follow #191-08: Oldies, but Goodies

It's time for Feature and Follow Friday!

This week's question: Recommend some of your favorite back-list books - books that are at least a few years old (think 5-10 years old rather than classics). And as an extra challenge to myself, I won't mention any of my favorite books that I usually rave about! Only new old books.

  • The Abhorsen Trilogy by Garth Nix. Probably read this series back in 2005 or 2006.
    • This was some of the first fantasy I read as an adult. But it wasn't that bright, shiny fantasy that I was used to as a kid. It was gritty and dark. I was fascinated by the series and devoured all 3 books and was delighted by the short story in Across the Wall.
    • And the excellent news this week is that a prequel novel, Clariel, will be released in October 2014!
  • The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Read it back in 2009.
    • Got me hooked on Morton and now I read EVERYTHING that she puts out. All her books do an amazing job of twisting a mystery with historical fiction.
  • Nefertiti by Michelle Moran. Read in 2008.
    • I am a Egyptian historical fiction nut. I started with Christian Jacq and will pick up just about any book in the book store that looks vaguely Egyptian to see if is something worth reading. Moran's 3 Egyptian fiction books were engrossing reads. When I was reading Cleopatra's Daughter I nearly missed my flight in Detroit!
  • The Green Mile by Stephen King. Read in 1999.
    • One of two Stephen King novels I've actually read. I was amazed at how well the movie adaptation was done. When reading the book, I really saw at the biblical connections which made the movie all the more powerful and sad. John Coffey=Jesus Christ. Ah yes, I see you nodding now.
Sabriel
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
Lirael
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
Abhorsen
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
Clariel
AddtoGoodReads

Pre-order from Amazon.com
Across the Wall
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
The Forgotten Garden
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
Nefertiti
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
Cleopatra's Daughter
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com
The Green Mile
AddtoGoodReads

Buy from Amazon.com

Don't forget to checkout the featured bloggers on Alison Can Read and Parajunkee.com.